|Work Location:||63 Front St. S. Thorold, Ontario L2V 0A7|
|Reports to:||Chief Executive Officer (CEO)|
|Hours of Work:||Full-time, Monday-Friday. Evening or weekend hours may be required to accommodate business demands.|
We’re looking for an organized, driven and detail-oriented accounting professional with banking experience to join the Thorold Community Credit Union Team!
ABOUT THOROLD COMMUNITY CREDIT UNION (TCU)
Established in 1948, Thorold Community Credit Union (TCU) is the oldest community credit union in Ontario. Our mission at TCU is to provide quality financial services and be financially responsible to the members and residents who live or work in the community we serve. To the extent possible, we work to create a source of credit at a fair and reasonable rate of interest, and provide an opportunity for our members to effectively control their economic and social condition.
Reporting to the CEO, the Accounting and Administration Specialist will effectively oversee all finance and accounting functions at Thorold Community Credit Union (TCU) and actively support the health and security of administrative and financial systems.
Specifically, the job incumbent is responsible for preparing regulatory financial reports and statements, tracking and monitoring financial transactions, managing general ledger accounts, administering payroll, and ensuring the accuracy, security and maintenance of administrative and financial records. The Accounting and Administration Specialist must proactively coordinate with both internal and external stakeholders to ensure all accounting and financial data, plans, policies, programs and procedures are in strict compliance with applicable finance and accounting standards, regulations and best practices, and are aligned with strategic objectives.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Financial Accounting & Reporting
- Compile, check and balance all general ledger (GL) transactions, accounts and accruals on a daily basis.
- Prepare regulatory financial reports and statements on a monthly basis (i.e. balance sheets, statement of income and expenses, GAP asset/liability reports, etc.)
- Oversee all execute all accounts payable (A/P) functions.
- Review specified and daily banking reports; identify potential errors and take corrective action as needed
- Stay abreast of all regulations, standards and legislation affecting banking, accounting and/or finance administration.
- Manage all activities related to the administration of RRSPs, RRIFs, and TFSAs
- Reconcile bank statements on a semi-monthly basis and prepare required income tax and liability returns.
- Work closely with the chartered accountant(s) and external auditor(s) at years’ end to ensure required documentation needed to perform audits is complete, comprehensive and accurate.
- Meet with members in relation to registered investments.
Strategic Planning, Coordination & Support
- Assist in policy development, implementation and administration.
- Collaborate with CEO to prepare and monitor the annual operating budget and three-year business plan.
- Review competitor interest rates and set new interest and foreign exchange rates with the CEO.
- Provide assistance and act as the Board’s recording secretary during monthly meetings by preparing the agenda, taking minutes, organizing financial data/reports and distributing board packages to members.
- Oversee and coordinate special projects and manage the implementation of new services.
- Implement, monitor and take part in various organizational plans and ensure they are regularly updated and revised to reflect changes in legislation or regulatory requirements (i.e. Contingency Funding Plan).
- Compile and provide relevant documentation to committee members for meetings (governance/audit).
- Organize and execute training initiatives for TCU staff and board members.
- Proactively work to streamline administrative/financial functions by addressing operational inefficiencies.
- Administer TCU’s investment portfolio in conjunction with the CEO.
- Conduct weekly payroll activities including preparing and processing employee payments.
- Ensure accurate preparation, reconciliation and filing of payroll remittances and forms (i.e. HST, EHT, EI, ROEs, T4s, etc.)
- Administer compensation and benefits plans, enroll new employees and preparing necessary remittances.
- Manage all records and documents related to health and safety initiatives, issues, and incidents, completing all WSIB and MOL claims when required.
IT Systems & Security
- Organize and maintain the LAN/network file system through file retention and periodic purging; perform offsite and test backups through file retrieval.
- Ensure workstations are operating efficiently and systematically troubleshoot issues when they occur.
- Manage network usersand act as security officer for Central1 (i.e. adding, deleting, updating staff access).
- Test and implement new systems as required (i.e. network devices, printers, workstations, etc.)
- Maintainand monitor the effectiveness of network security controls andsystem stabilitythrough regular network patching.
- Update the banking system during off hours and as required for product updates, changes or additions.
- As the CGI point of contact, oversee the coordination of data systems and CGI year-end processing
- Other similar and related duties as assigned by the CEO.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- At least three to five (3-5) years’ experience in an accounting and/or finance role, required.
- Diploma or degree in finance, business, accounting or a related field, preferred.
- Experience working for a credit union or in the banking industry, an asset.
KEY SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Exceptional financial management skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping principles and best practices.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; proficiency in English.
- Ability to think systematically and implement procedures that address administrative redundancies.
- Excellent organization and time management skills; competent in prioritizing work activities.
- Skilled at effectively utilizing various banking, payroll and accounting software/programs (i.e. RBC Express, QuickBooks, etc.); Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Capable of multi-tasking while paying great attention to detail; meticulous.
- Capacity to understand the consequence of errors with regard to financial mismanagement.
- Ability to have foresight, analytically problem-solve and use using sound judgement.
- Willingness to adapt and take initiative, always maintaining exceptionally high standards.
- Ability to ensure compliance with all accounting principles, regulations and legislative requirements.
- Excellent customer service and coordination skills.
WHAT TCU HAS TO OFFER
- A casual, supportive and friendly work environment.
- Extended health and benefits plan.
- RSP investment.
- Exemption from service charges/fees.
- Clothing allowance.
- Free parking.
- “Special Saturdays”
HOW TO APPLY
If you think your experience, skills and career aspirations are aligned with this opportunity – please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 16, 2022. Please be sure to include “Accounting & Administration Specialist” in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a safe, healthy, diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request.